Wednesday 24 October 2012

Inspirations for Bauhaus/Constructivist Poster

As far as it goes for my Bauhaus/Constructivist poster inspirations, I chose one artist from each style.

From the Bauhaus school of design, the American-German painter, Lyonel Feininger caught my eye. I particularly enjoyed his cubist approach and the fragmented nature to his paintings. The fact that he reflected on the expressionist movement, focusing on the feelings emanating from his works versus realist depictions, also played a role in the creation of my poster.




Furthermore, the constructivist artist, Gustav Klutsis also inspired my poster. Klutsis mainly created work that had a communist agenda and that showcased propaganda or revolutionary imagery. He worked with various experimental media, using sculpture, installations and illustrations. However, he is most known for his photo-montages that portrayed powerful and somewhat eerie images.



What I will take away from Feininger is the fragmentation and sharp lines he applies in his paintings, whereas from Klutsis's work, my influence derive from his political message as well as the technique of photo-montage and use of the color red.

No comments:

Post a Comment