Thursday 4 October 2012

CD Cover

For my CD cover, I chose to create my interpretation of the 2006 album "Magic Potion" from The Black Keys. The idea behind the cover was to make a "cartoon-ish" representation of a "magic potion", in relation to the album title. The colors and the shapes of the design reflect on what comes out of a black cauldron (the background) - the fumes and bubbles of a brewing magic potion.

Initially, I started with a design I drew myself. It was meant to be an abstract drawing, simply done with a sharpie. I then scanned onto the computer and with the use of levels (in Photoshop) I erased any textural background and made the drawing completely black so that it would be easy to work with the contours.

After placing the drawing on a new layer and shaping it in the way I wanted it to look on the cover, I found harmonious color combinations and filled the shapes within my drawing. Furthermore, I used the "stained glass" filter to incorporate the drawing with my chosen dark background. I selected different parts of the design and applied the filter in varied sizes for an even more abstract and composed look.

Finally, I downloaded a cartoon inspired font to complement my design and used the colors from the cover design on the back cover for a sense of continuity. Selected parts of the frontal design was also used for the same reason.



In the end, I think my concept translated well visually and the additional inspiration of Victor Moscoso's balance of colors is also apparent in the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment